I will work on the air identification markings in this part but first have I glued on the propellers and rudders to the hull.
Both Trumpeter and MK1 have supplied the markings with decals. The difference between them is that
Trumpeter wants you to paint the red field and then use the decal. The problem is that you have to fill in the missing
part of the swastika by our self, I don’t think that that will work very well MK1 has done the whole marking as a
decal and that may work if you don’t use the wood deck. Because I don’t think that a decal will work very well on a
wooden deck, it will probably cover up and hide all the grain in the wood and just look like a big sheet on the deck.
So the solution is to paint the marking on to the deck
So the work begins with the masking up for the painting of the white field first.
Here is the bow,
and the stern.
I painted the white field with a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and X-20A Thinner.
Next was to cut out a circle in masking tape, I have used the decal from MK1 as a guide
and took all the measurements from them.
When I had the right measure I use my circular cuter and made the mask.
And the masking is placed on to the deck, I have to cut a hole in the stern mask as it have to sit over a couple of
details on the deck and it won’t go down straight otherwise. But that is easy to cover with some more Tamiya tape
For the red area have I used Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red and add two drops of XF-69 Nato Black
just to tone down the bright red a little bit.
and the red is airbrushed on,
And the look of it when the masking is removed.
Next was to mask up the shape of the swastika, the one in the stern was a bit more tricky
thanks to the deck details that already is in there.
The bow was a more straight forward job.
And the black paint is on, I used a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF-1 and X-20A.
So was the masking removed and we have a finished air identification marking
To weathering the markings a little bit have I use pigments from MIG Production in three
shades, P026 Concrete, P035 Panzer Grey and P034 Russian Earth.
I just lightly dust on the pigments with a flat brush.
And the final result, I don’t want it to look too heavy and there will be some
more pigments applied later on the anchor deck, in that area where the anchor chain will be.
That was the air identification markings, many pictures for one thing but I hope you don’t mind
I was not totally happy with the look of the wood deck, don’t get me wrong, it looks stunning but I was thinking that it
maybe looking a bit to new. So I experimented on scrap parts with different washes and paint to try to find out which of them
that work best.
Washes gave a nice stain but it highlighted the grain in the wood to much, it don’t look right.
Paint in the airbrush and just dust it over the deck was what I find works best.
So I made a mix of 90% Tamiya X-20A Thinner and 10% XF-20 Medium Grey
and airbrush it in light dusty coats over the deck.
Here you can see before and after, the left half is the old one
One other positive effect with the paint was that all the details in the wood stands out even more now.
Trumpeter have not included the arch over the hawsepipe, so those have to be fabricated.
I start and mark out the shape of the arch on a plastic tube.
Next I used a razor saw to cut out the part.
The arch is test fitted with the anchor held in place with a blob of white tack.
Next I build all the ventilation house.
As I wanted to have at least one of the hatches for the entrance to the lower deck open was it necessary to make
some details on the inside of the hatch. I used some nuts and bolts from my armour detail stock.
The breakwater and all the other small parts ready to paint.
When the painting was done have I used Phil’s Concrete wash and apply it as a pin wash to
all the nooks and crannies.
I could not find the anchor chains when I now needed them, I’m not sure if they really was in the kit or
If I have lost them, anyway they was gone!!
Okay, nothing else to do than buy new chains and then paint them with Tamiya X-18 Semi
Okay, when so all the painting and weathering was done have i mounted all the parts on the
The small plastic tabs that was removed before the wood deck was applied is now replaced
with PE parts and the smaller chain to secure the bow anchor is attached to them.
The anchor gear and chain in place, I have give the area under the chain a light coat of
pigments before the chain was installed.
The two main anchors and the securing chain.
The breakwater with all the details around it, here you can see the hatch that I wanted to
I started to drill out all the vent holes.
The next step was to remove all the original plastic parts which will be replaced by PE parts.
And on the aft part of the superstructure has some part of the gun deck also be removed.
The new PE parts in place.
And finally was all the PE parts in place
There is also some new parts on the Bruno and Caesar main gun barbettes
After the usually primer coat have I paint the parts with two shades of DKM 50 Hellgrau, next was it time
to mask up and paint the white and black camo fields.
And the final result, the superstructure have got a pin wash with Flory Models Concrete wash and
last a coat of Vallejo’s flat varnish.
Next was to install the wood deck parts.
Next I build the hose reels, the resin parts for the center of the reel was very warped so I decided
to replace them with some aluminum tube. Maybe the warping has not been visible on the finished reel,
but now have I replaced them anyway
There was also eight paravane to build as a replacement for the kit plastic parts. Very nice
but really small to work with
When the painting and weathering was done was it so time to place the new lifebuoy in their racks.
The vent hole get some glazing.
When so all the small parts was built, painted and weathered was it time to put everything
in place on the Bismarck deck.
Okay, that was all for this part, see you soon with some more progress